The South Padre Island Mariachi Run 5k/10k is making running fun by infusing the course with live mariachi groups along the course!
Everyone is invited to participate in this NON-timed fun run/walk... from speed demons, casual runners and even walkers. You'll get AWESOME swag/perks like no other race followed by a Mariachi After Party!
Saturday - October 24, 2020
Starts & Finishes at
Beach Park at Isla Blanca
(previously named Schlitterbahn Waterpark)
10k: 5:00 P.M.
5k: 5:10 P.M.
- Packet Pickup is same day
from 10:30 a.m. - 4:00 pm
at Beach Park Isla Blanca
- Mariachi After Party
from 5:30/5:45 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
01/02/2020 thru 04/30/20
5K: $30 / 10K: $35
5K: $35 / 10K: $40
5K: $40 / 10K: $50
5K: $45 / 10K: $55
Race Day 10/24/20
(if not sold out)
5K & 10K: $60
It is very important that you read the following rules and regulations of the event... it should answer most of your questions. If not, you can email us at email@example.com. Follow us on Facebook for updates.
SATURDAY EVENING, OCTOBER 24, 2020
Are you ready to run with the mariachis? The event and the start/finish of the run/walk takes place at 5 p.m. at the Beach Park at Isla Blanca Waterpark (previously named Schlitterbahn Waterpark South Padre Island located) at 33261 State Park Road 100, South Padre Island, Texas 78597
CURRENT PRICING SCHEDULE
01/02/20 thru 04/30/20 - 5K: $30 / 10K: $35
thru 06/30/20 - 5K: $35 / 10K: $40
thru 09/30/20 - 5K: $40 / 10K: $50
thru 10/20/20 - 5K: $45 / 10K: $55
Race Day 10/24/20 (if not sold out) - 5K & 10K: $60
*Register prior to October 1st to guarantee your shirt size
*Online registration through October 20, 2020 and race day registration is subject to change if registrations reach sold out cap levels.
* As with most events, we have a NO REFUND policy on entries or additional purchases made. There are no refunds or deferrals, once you register, you are registered.
* Active.com and a $10 event charges will apply to and transfers. Changes can only be made through October 10, 2020.
VIRTUAL RUN - Through October 20, 2020 - $55 for 5k or 10k
For U.S. addresses ONLY. Virtual race participants may complete the race at any time and no documentation of completion is required (but we’ would love to see a pictures of you). Virtual packet will be mailed to you via USPS the week after the race and will include race shirt, souvenir pint, decal, race bib and finisher medal.
WHAT YOU GET!
RACE DAY SCHEDULE
All activities are hosted at Beach Park at Isla Blanca Waterpark (previously named Schlitterbahn Waterpark South Padre Island located) on Saturday, October 24, 2020
10:30 am to 4:00 pm - Expo, Packet Pick-Up & Same Day Registration
4:30 pm - Announcements & National Anthem
5:00 pm - 10k Start Time
5:10 pm - 5k Start Time
5:30/5:45 pm - After Race Party Begins
5:30/5:45 pm to 7:30 pm - Mariachi After Party
* Start times are subject to change, keep an eye out for email, website & facebook updates
EXPO & PACKET PICK-UP
Pick up your race packet and shop... hang out and have fun with your family & friends! SPI Mariachi Run 5k/10k will have an Expo prior to the race, in which all participants must visit to pick up their race packets. Free and open to the public, this expo features fitness apparel and we hope from various vendors and sponsors. The Expo will take place from 10:30 am to 4:00 pm under La Palapa at the Beach Park at Isla Blanca Waterpark. Various exhibitors will stay on site during the race and the after party until 7:30 pm.
Hotel specials to be announced soon!
Beach Park at Isla Blanca Waterpark offers FREE parking!
Although there is ample parking at Beach Park at Isla Blanca Waterpark along with available overflow areas, parking is at a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE, PLEASE plan ahead and arrive EARLY for Packet Pickup and enjoy the Expo.
SPI MARIACHI RUN 5K & 10K COURSES
This is a fun run with flat out-and-back courses that start about one hour before sunset. This sets the perfect scenario to enjoy the start of a South Padre Island sunset and live mariachi bands set along the route. There will be CUP-LESS water stops along the route (see information below for more details). Keep an eye out on this website for the course map.
Both the 5k and 10k courses have a loose open time of 1 hour and 45 minutes. Go fast if you’d like but we welcome you to slow down and enjoy the music along the route. We’d love to see your selfies with the mariachis; post them to facebook and instagram!
RUN IT or WALK IT!
We love our walkers and since our routes will be open for 1 hour & 45 minutes, this is the perfect race for those wanting to do their FIRST 5k. For 10k participants, please make sure you can average a less than 16:00 minutes per mile. 10k runners/walkers MUST reach the 1.55 mile marker within 26 minutes of the run start in order to be allowed to continue on the 10k course. This is for safety and to make sure that all participants are able to complete within 1 hour & 45 minutes. There will be a sag vehicle on the course to pickup or move up any participants that do not meet the course time limits.
WHAT TO WEAR
Historically… the average temperatures for this date are cloudy with a low of 69º and a high of 82º. Wear your usually or favorite running apparel if you’d like… OR wear a costume!
It's a FUN RUN so we welcome themed costumes like mariachi outfits, Mexican dresses, folklorico dresses, zarapes, sugar skulls, ponchos, luchador outfits, tequila bandito outfits, piñata costumes or even dress up like a taco. You MUST be able to run in your costume. Don’t forget to a wear a rash guard if needed, after all you will be running. If we see enough creative and fun costumes, we will hold an impromptu costume contest at the after party!
This music fueled fun run is non-timed (NO timing chips) but top three to cross the 5K and 10k finish line will win premium SPI Mariachi Run swag, prizes and bragging rights!
Items that have been pre-ordered during the registration process must be picked up when race packets are picked up at the expo. Unless you are participating in the Virtual Run, we will be unable to mail any of these items after the event.
MARIACHI AFTER PARTY
After the run is the after party mariachi concert! Continue the fun by enjoying your free taco and margarita or beer while listening to the awesome music of various local mariachi groups. Beach Park at Isla Blanca Waterpark will have additional food and beverage options available for purchase and several of our expo exhibitors will be sticking around for the after party too!
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, RULES, FAQ & TIPS
- Register early to save money and share with your friends and family to tell them about the event and early pricing!
- This is a RAIN OR SHINE EVENT. Safety of the participants, volunteers, crew, staff, sponsors, and everyone involved is vital, that said races will be held rain or shine, however, if there is severe weather that local authorities deem too dangerous in the area the race start may be delayed or cancelled.
- This event is a sun-downer and will start approximately 1 hour to sunset. If you feel it will take you more than 45 minutes to complete your race, please bring a light such as a head lamp.
- As with most running events, we have a NO REFUND policy on entries. There are no refunds or deferrals, once you register, YOU ARE REGISTERED.
- You can manage your registration by logging in to your active.com account. Fees may apply to any changes made to your registration. Standard fees for changes are $5 and $10 and can only be made through 10/10/20.
- Come early to the packet pick-up expo to get your stuff. There will be lots to see and enjoy. Positive ID will be required to pick-up your race packet and race number bib. For quicker check-in, bring a print out of your confirmation email with QR code or be able to show your QR on your phone.
- Arrive earlier than you think you need to for the race
- This is a CUP-LESS race. In an effort to reduce waste and littering, we will NOT be using those tiny paper cups at our water stops. Bring your own cup or water bottle.
- There will be at least two water REFILL stops on the race course. We can refill your own cup or water bottle.
- Drink responsibly, after your free margarita or beer, there will be plenty of options from the Beach Park at Isla Blanca Waterpark drink concessions
- From 05/01/2020 to 10/10/2020, we offer TEAM discounts to running/walking/fitness clubs who will promote the race to its membership database and/or corporate groups and teams of FIVE or more participants, email us at SPIMariachiRun@gmail.com to get started. Team discounts ARE NOT VALID towards Express Registrations NOR can they be combined with any other promo codes or discounts NOR Team registrations made prior to 05/01/2020.
- Beach Park at Isla Blanca Waterpark will have various food and drink concession options during the packet pickup, during the race and after the race.
- Kids are welcome to attend the after party ; we hope to create a family friendly environment for all to enjoy our event
- Strollers are welcome for only those participating in the 5k and we ask two things; first, do not wear headphones and second please start towards the back of the pack
- NO Dogs or Pets. Dogs or pets of any kind unfortunately are not welcome (it an insurance thing). Only service animals are allowed in accordance to the ADA.
- Family and friends who are not registered can come along to the expo and the after party for free.
- Bring your ID if you plan to have alcohol containing drinks
- The starting line will only be open for 10 minutes after the official start of the race, if you are late and miss it you will not be allowed to start
- Make sure to run with a smile, this is a celebration! We’ll have several people taking pictures & video of the event. Participation in the event grants us permission to use images or video for legitimate event purposes.
- Event shirts will only be made available in UNISEX ADULT/MEN'S sizes XSMALL through 5XL. Our mariachi design requires a round neck so we’ve chosen a unisex option for our moisture wicking tek shirts.
- Event shirts for registered individuals are based on requested sizes at the time of registration. At the Packet Pick-Up Expo shirts are distributed on a first come, first served basis, as available. Though we make every effort to have a sufficient quantity of shirts on hand for in-person registration, it is not guaranteed. This means you may have to wait for your shirt to be mailed to you after the event if we are out of stock when you register in-person at the Expo.
- Participants will sign their waiver when they register. Like with any other running event we want to remind participants that running a road race is a potentially hazardous activity and they should not enter and run unless they are medically able to do so and properly trained. Participants assume all risks associated with running in this event including, but not limited to: falls, contact with other participants, the effects of weather, traffic, and course conditions, and waive any and all claims which they might have based on any of those and other risks typical found in running a road race.
- If we’ve missed or didn’t cover something, email us at SPIMariachiRun@gmail.com for more information
OR message us on facebook for a quick response