The October 24 date for the 2020 South Padre Island Mariachi Run was set in December 2019. Never would anyone have thought that 2020 would require us to respond to the coronavirus (COVID-19).
We are posting this on April 2, 2020, as the United States is in the middle of quarantines and stay at home mandates. Since the middle of March, we have seen many scheduled April and May running events postponed or cancelled.
Due to the concern surrounding the coronavirus, the government’s rolling mandates around no public gatherings and the unknown of when things will get back to normal, an alternate plan is being put in place now.
We are moving forward with the run to take place as originally planned on October 24, 2020. Our priority lies with the safety of our running community, from all of our participants, volunteers, and to those who put on this run; therefore, in the event that we are not able to physically hold the SPI Mariachi Run as originally planned due to government mandate or situation affecting public health, the event may automatically be turned into a virtual run or postponed to a later date by the guidance of the City of South Padre Island.
These decisions are not taken lightly, so in this time of so many unknowns, we want you to know that this preemptive alternative plan has been put in place to protect us all.
So how would this plan work?
If we are required to postpone the 2020 SPI Mariachi Run, we will advise with as much advance notice as possible by either providing a City of South Padre Island approved postponed date or potentially or advisement of automatically converting all registered participants to virtual runners and if so would ship all of your goodie bag items- the mariachi design tek shirt, race bib, 5” medal, souvenir styrene pint, race decal and drawstring bag, direct to your door. As a virtual run you would then run/walk your own course anytime. Note, if this happens, there would be no additional charges for the shipping of your swag package if the entire run goes virtual and this would only be available for addresses within the contiguous United States.
We hope and pray that things are back to normal by October and that this plan does not need to be initiated. Thank you for your understanding.