Are you ready to run with the mariachis? The event and the start/finish of the run/walk takes place at the Beach Park at Isla Blanca Waterpark (previously named Schlitterbahn Waterpark South Padre Island located) at 33261 State Park Road 100, South Padre Island, Texas 78597
CURRENT PRICING SCHEDULE
01/02/20 thru 04/30/20 - 5K: $30 / 10K: $35
thru 06/30/20 - 5K: $35 / 10K: $40
thru 09/30/20 - 5K: $40 / 10K: $50
thru 10/20/20 - 5K: $45 / 10K: $55
Race Day 10/24/20 (if not sold out) - 5K & 10K: $60
*Register prior to October 1st to guarantee your shirt size
*Online registration through October 20, 2020 and race day registration is subject to change if registrations reach sold out cap levels.
* As with most events, there is a no refund policy on entries or additional purchases made. There are no refunds or deferrals, once you register, you are registered. In the event that we are not able to physically hold the SPI Mariachi Run as originally planned due to government mandate or situation affecting public health, the event may automatically be turned into a virtual run or postponed to a later date by the guidance of the City of South Padre Island. (see the "Covid-19 Alternate Plan" page here on www.SPiMariachiRun.com for more details).
* Active.com and a $10 event charges will apply to and transfers. Changes can only be made through October 10, 2020.
VIRTUAL RUN – Available through October 20, 2020; thru 06/30/20 – 5k: $35; thru 09/30/20 - 5K: $40; thru 10/20/20 - 5K: $45 For Contiguous U.S. addresses ONLY. Virtual race participants may complete the race at any time and no documentation of completion is required (but we’ would love to see pictures of you). Virtual packet will be mailed to you via USPS the week of or the week after the race and will include race shirt, souvenir pint, decal, race bib and finisher medal.
RACE DAY SCHEDULE
All activities are hosted at Beach Park at Isla Blanca Waterpark (previously named Schlitterbahn Waterpark South Padre Island) on Saturday, October 24, 2020
* Start times are subject to change, keep an eye out for email, website & facebook updates
Pick up your race packet and shop... hang out and have fun with your family & friends! SPI Mariachi Run 5k/10k will have an Expo prior to the race, in which all participants must visit to pick up their race packets. Free and open to the public, this expo features fitness apparel and we hope from various vendors and sponsors. The Expo will take place from 10:30 am to 4:00 pm under La Palapa at the Beach Park at Isla Blanca Waterpark. Various exhibitors will stay on site during the race and the after party until 7:30 pm.
Hotel specials to be announced soon!
Beach Park at Isla Blanca Waterpark offers FREE parking!
Although there is ample parking at Beach Park at Isla Blanca Waterpark along with available overflow areas, parking is at a first come, first serve; please plan ahead and arrive EARLY for Packet Pickup and enjoy the Expo.
This is a fun run with flat out-and-back courses that start about one hour before sunset. This sets the perfect scenario to enjoy the start of a South Padre Island sunset and live mariachi bands set along the route. There will be CUP-LESS water stops along the route (see information below for more details).
Both the 5k and 10k courses have a loose open time of 1 hour and 45 minutes. Go fast if you’d like but we welcome you to slow down and enjoy the music along the route. We’d love to see your selfies with the mariachis; post them to facebook and instagram!
RUN IT or WALK IT!
We love our walkers and since our routes will be open for 1 hour & 45 minutes, this is the perfect race for those wanting to do their FIRST 5k. For 10k participants, please make sure you can average a less than 16:00 minutes per mile. 10k runners/walkers MUST reach the 1.55 mile marker within 26 minutes of the run start in order to be allowed to continue on the 10k course. This is for safety and to make sure that all participants are able to complete within 1 hour & 45 minutes. There will be a sag vehicle on the course to pick up or move up any participants that do not meet the course time limits.
Historically… the average temperatures for this date are cloudy with a low of 70ºs and a high in the 80’s. Wear your usually or favorite running apparel if you’d like… OR wear a costume!
It's a FUN RUN so we welcome themed costumes like mariachi outfits, Mexican dresses, folklorico dresses, zarapes, sugar skulls, ponchos, luchador outfits, tequila bandito outfits, piñata costumes or even dress up like a taco.
If you wear a costume, make sure you do so safely. Don’t forget to a wear a rash guard if needed, after all you will be running.
If we see enough creative and fun costumes, we may hold an impromptu costume contest at the after party!
This music fueled fun run is non-timed (NO timing chips) but top three to cross the 5K and 10k finish line will win premium SPI Mariachi Run swag, prizes and bragging rights!
Items that have been pre-ordered during the registration process must be picked up when race packets are picked up at the expo. Unless you preemptively purchased a Virtual Run, we will be unable to mail any of these items after the event.
After the run is the after-party mariachi concert! Continue the fun by enjoying your free taco and margarita or beer while listening to the awesome music of various local mariachi groups. Beach Park at Isla Blanca Waterpark will have additional food and beverage options available for purchase and several of our expo exhibitors will be sticking around for the after party too!
- Register early to save money and share with your friends and family to tell them about the event and early pricing!
- This is a RAIN OR SHINE EVENT. Safety of the participants, volunteers, crew, staff, sponsors, and everyone involved is vital, that said the run will be held rain or shine, however, if there is severe weather that local authorities deem too dangerous in the area the run start may be delayed or postponed. In the event that we are not able to physically hold the SPI Mariachi Run as originally planned due to government mandate or situation affecting public health, the event may automatically be turned into a virtual run or postponed to a later date by the guidance of the City of South Padre Island. (see the "Covid-19 Alternate Plan" page here on www.SPiMariachiRun.com for more details).
- This event is a sun-downer and will start approximately 1 hour to sunset. If you feel it will take you more than 45 minutes to complete your race, please bring a light such as a head lamp.
- As with most events, there is a no refund policy on entries or additional purchases made. There are no refunds or deferrals, once you register, you are registered. In the event that we are not able to physically hold the SPI Mariachi Run as originally planned due to government mandate or situation affecting public health, the event may automatically be turned into a virtual run or postponed to a later date by the guidance of the City of South Padre Island. (see the "Covid-19 Alternate Plan" page here on www.SPiMariachiRun.com for more details).
- You can manage your registration by logging in to your active.com account. Fees may apply to any changes made to your registration. Standard fees for changes are $5 and $10 and can only be made through 10/10/20.
- Come early to the packet pick-up expo to get your stuff. There will be lots to see and enjoy. Positive ID will be required to pick-up your race packet and race number bib. For quicker check-in, bring a printout of your confirmation email with QR code or be able to show your QR on your phone.
- Arrive earlier than you think you need to for the run
- This is a CUP-LESS run. In an effort to reduce waste and littering, we will NOT be using those tiny paper cups at our water stops. Bring your own cup or water bottle. There will be at least two water refill stations along the routes and will be located at mariachi locations.
- From 05/01/2020 to 10/10/2020, we offer TEAM discounts to running/walking/fitness clubs who will promote the race to its membership database and/or corporate groups and teams of FIVE or more participants. Email us at SPIMariachiRun@gmail.comto get started. Team discounts ARE NOT VALID towards Express Registrations NOR can they be combined with any other promo codes or discounts NOR Team registrations made prior to 05/01/2020.
- Beach Park at Isla Blanca Waterpark will have various food and drink concession options during the packet pickup, during the race and after the race. Drink responsibly, after your free margarita or beer, there will be plenty of options to purchase from the Beach Park at Isla Blanca. Bring your ID to legally be served alcohol.
- Kids are welcome to attend the after party; we hope to create a family friendly environment for all to enjoy our event
- Strollers are welcome for those participating in the 5k only and we ask that those participating with strollers start towards the back of the pack
- Only service animals are allowed in accordance to the ADA. No other dogs or pets of any kind unfortunately are not welcome (it an insurance thing).
- Family and friends who are not registered can come along to the expo and the after party for free.
- Don't be late, the starting line will only be open for 10 minutes after the official start of the race
- Make sure to run with a smile, this is a celebration! We’ll have several people taking pictures & video of the event. Participation in the event grants us permission to use images or video for legitimate event purposes.
- Event shirts will only be made available in UNISEX/MEN sizes XSMALL through 5XL. Our mariachi design requires a round neck, so we’ve chosen a unisex/men option for our moisture wicking tek shirts. Register prior to October 1st to guarantee your shirt size.
- Event shirts for registered individuals are based on requested sizes at the time of registration. At the Packet Pick-Up Expo shirts are distributed on a first come, first served basis, as available. Though we make every effort to have enough quantity of shirts on hand for in-person registration, it is not guaranteed. Your size may not be available if you register in-person at the Expo or register after the shirt guarantee date.
- Participants will sign their waiver when they register. Like with any other running event we want to remind participants that running a road race is a potentially hazardous activity and they should not enter and run unless they are medically able to do so and properly trained. Participants assume all risks associated with running in this event including, but not limited to: falls, contact with other participants, the effects of weather, traffic, and course conditions, and waive any and all claims which they might have based on any of those and other risks typical found in running a road race.
- If we’ve missed or didn’t cover something, email us at SPIMariachiRun@gmail.comfor more information